Join the library
Joining the library service is free and easy. It gives you access to:
Joining can be done online or in person in any of the Essex libraries.
Completing the registration form will give you a temporary membership. You will receive a registration number by email and will be able to:
- search the library catalogue immediately, however you will need a permanent library card to reserve items
- access e-books, e-audio, e-newspapers and e-magazines through BorrowBox and PressReader.
Take your registration number into your local library if you want to:
- collect your library card
- change your membership type - if child, young adult, memory, access or friends and family membership is more appropriate
- take advantage of the full range of library services.
Please note: You will need to bring some identification with your name and address on it, such as a driving licence, bank statement or recent utility bill.
Join at the library
Pop along to your local library where you will be given membership and your library card.
You will need to bring some identification with your name and address on it, such as a driving licence, bank statement or recent utility bill.
Please note: You can’t join the library over the phone.
Lost library card or reactivate account
You will need to come into a library to get a replacement card or to reactivate your account.
You must bring identification with your name and address on it such as a driving licence, bank statement or recent utility bill.
There is a charge of £1.15 for replacing lost or damaged library cards.
Update your account details
You can update your contact details or password by logging into your account on the Essex Libraries catalogue.