01 September 2022
To help families celebrate the Essex Year of Reading every month we will be sharing a fabulous story video for families to share along with some activity ideas.
This month’s story is from BookTrust and is a signed version of The Boy on the Bus by Penny Dale.
Watch the video now
You can borrow more books on nursery rhymes from your local library
Then why not try one of these activity ideas
- Get your toys together and pretend to be a bus driver
- Draw a picture of the bus with all the animals on it
- Sing the nursery rhyme ‘The Wheels on the Bus’
- Egg box red bus craft activity (see instructions below)
- What do you think would be the next thing to go on the bus?
- The boy on the bus helped all the animals get to where they wanted to go, think about how important it is to help people you know
- Take a trip out on a bus
Egg Box Red Bus
- 1 egg box,
- Red and black paint,
- 2 plastic milk bottle tops,
- White card,
- Silver card,
- 2 small yellow pom poms
- Coloured felt pens.
- Paint the outside of the egg box red and the milk bottle tops black and then leave them to dry
- Turn the egg box on its side and decorate it using small rectangles of silver card for the windows and rectangles of white card for the bus’s side and number sign (you could stick different animals from the story in the windows)
- Stick on the milk bottle tops for the bus’s wheels and the pom poms for the lights
For more great ideas of activities to try with your young children check out the Talk Listen Cuddle website