Everyone reads differently, whether you have a visual impairment, dyslexia, difficulty accessing print or just prefer an alternative format. Essex Libraries offers a range of formats for both adults and children, to help you find your different way of reading.
- e-books and e-audio
- Audio books
- Graphic novels
- Large print
- Children and young adults– including details of extra-large print books
- Quick Reads– a selection of short, simpler reads for adults written by best-selling authors. Ideal if you have limited time to read or are returning to reading. Search the library catalogue using the term Quick Reads.
- Fresh Start– for a selection of titles covering many themes or topics for adults keen to improve their reading skills. Search the library catalogue using the term Fresh Start.
- RNIB free talking book service – If you are a UK resident and have an impairment that prevents or limits you from reading standard print you are eligible to join this service.
Dyslexia can affect the ability to read and spell, but it is not the same for everyone. It may make it harder to remember lists, spoken instructions or to find items that are organised alphabetically. Essex Libraries can help with the following resources.
- Dyslexia book list– A selection of reading ideas for children and books that support parents and carers
- Wordless Books – Share picture books that let you create the story
- Barrington Stoke – A specialist publisher of dyslexia friendly books that can be searched for on our catalogue
- Access card- Adults and children who have significant difficulties accessing print can ask for an Access Card giving free access to all audio and DVD items.
Other resources for Dyslexia
- Dyslexia Action– Advice, guidance and reading ideas
- Dyslexia Assist– Advice and guidance by parents for parents and by children for children
- NHS– Dyslexia information
- Love Reading for Kids – Suggestions for dyslexia friendly books
- Booktrust - Recommendations for dyslexia friendly books
- BBC Advice– Help for young people with a broad range of Dyslexia issues