Whether you are at primary or secondary school, use the library to find the information you need to do your homework. Our online information service is also available 24/7.
Reference Library Online
The library service subscribes to a wide range of online resources that you can use free of charge with your Essex Libraries card.
You can use many of them from home and they include encyclopaedias, dictionaries, current affairs and historical newspapers.
For a fun way to start to learn a language, try Kidspeak, part of Transparent Language.
Free web resources
If you're looking for activities and free resources to help your child's learning, these websites can help:
- BBC Bitesize - lessons with videos, quizzes and practice activities
- BBC Teach - free curriculum-mapped videos grouped by age and subject
- Collins – resources for pre-school, primary and secondary aged children, plus tips for supporting your child’s learning at home
- Hachette Schools - supporting learning and keeping children entertained
- National Literacy Trust Words for Life – informative activities for children aged 0 to 12
- Oxford Owl - learning at home activities, listed by age-group
- Scholastic Learn at Home- projects to keep children reading and learning
- National Literacy Trust Virtual School Library- free books, exclusive videos and recommended reads
- The Reading Agency – Winter Mini Book Challenge with downloadable reading rewards
- Dr Frost Maths - free videos, interactive maths practice for KS 1-4 and a bank of revision questions
- Maths with Parents - free videos and activities for topics across the full maths curriculum from EYFS to Year 6, together with online support if needed
- National Numeracy – activities for children aged 4 to 11, to encourage families to have fun discovering real-life maths
- Tate Kids - free art activities, games and quizzes, and other art fun. Children can submit their artwork on the online gallery
News and Current Affairs
- BBC Bitesize Fact or Fake? - how to talk to your child about fake news
- Essex Safeguarding Children Board - for parents and carers to help understand online safety and general exploitation
- Thinkuknow - advice and activities about staying safe online for parent/carers and children
If you don’t have a library card join online.
Need someone to ask?
If you have a question you can contact us