Welly Walks is a fun book about exploring the great outdoors with your family. Two children splash in the puddles, make trails with wheels in the water and have a huge amount of fun. They want Mum to join in but is she far too grown up? Are you?
Now you’ve enjoyed a great book, try this:
in the great outdoors…
- On a rainy day put on your wellies and help your child make a magic puddle.
- Find a special puddle, add a bit of glitter, stir twice, add some food colouring and stir three times.
- What can you see?
- Add some plastic characters and create a magical world?
and at home…
- For some rainy day fun try making a rain gauge.
- All you will need is an empty plastic bottle.
- Cut around the top of the bottle – about 5cm down from the top - then your child can turn the top upside down and push back into the bottle to create a funnel.
- Next, use a ruler and make marks on the bottle using a permanent marker. Starting from the bottom of the bottle, mark 5cm, 10cm, 15cm etc.
- Take the rain gauge outside and wedge against something so it can’t fall over. Leave it for a rainy day and find out together how much rain has fallen.