Basildon Library Meeting Pod
Confirmation of bookings
A room booking will only be considered as confirmed once you have received an e-mail confirmation.
Cancellation of bookings
If the hirer decides to cancel a booking, there will be no reimbursement of the hire charge unless you give at least 14 days notice.
The County Council reserves the right to refuse or to cancel any hiring at any time if it needs to for operational business reasons. If a booking is cancelled the hire charge will be refunded, but the County Council will not be liable to pay any compensation in respect of the cancellation of the hiring.
Public Liability Insurance (PLI) and Disclosure and Barring Service checks
Hirers booking the room on behalf of a political party or for commercial use (meaning any individual or organisation who is using the space for a purpose aimed to make a profit). Commerical hirers must hold their own suitable, in date and valid Public Liability Insurance (PLI). The policy must have at least £5million indemnity. If you are a commercial hirer, you will be asked for proof of your PLI before access is granted to the space booked.
Where necessary, we expect hirers and users of the room to have had a DBS (Disclosure and Baring Service) check carried out. We recommend ensuring you have the right level of disclosure by using the eDBS decision tool on Essex County Council’s website.
It is essential that you bring with you a physical copy of your PLI policy on the day of hire for a member of library staff to assess, verify and photocopy for our records. Please arrive 10 minutes early to allow time for this process to be carried out. Failure to do so may result in your use of the room being denied and the loss of your hire fee.
Please contact Basildon Library on 03330 132612 if you have any questions about PLI.
Vacation of premises
The Hirer must ensure that the space is restored to the condition it was prior to hire and vacated before the hiring ends. Additional setting up and clearing up time is not provided.
Damage, loss or injury
The County Council will not accept any responsibility for injury/death to persons during the period of hire or for the loss/damage of any personal belongings or equipment brought into the premises by the Hirer or its attendees other than when injury/death or damage/loss can be attributed to negligence on the part of its employees.
Protection of premises and property
No furniture and fittings shall be removed or interfered with in any way. No fittings or decorations of any kind involving the driving or affixing of nails, screws, drawing pins into or onto any part of the building fabric will be allowed.
In the event of any damage to premises or property, Basildon Library shall make it good and the Hirer will be liable for all costs.
People attending the library for the purposes of the booking are not allowed to access staff toilets, kitchen facilities or staff areas of the building unless this has been agreed the Basildon Library’s staff prior to hire.
Public safety and equal opportunities
The Hirer is responsible for the prevention of overcrowding, in accordance with any applicable fire risk assessment as notified to the Hirer by the Council The Hirer must ensure all doorways and emergency exits are kept clear. The Hirer is responsible for the conduct of all persons using that part of the public library hired and must ensure that they do not cause any inconvenience to staff or customers.
The Hirer must not use the booked space for any purpose which is unlawful or which is capable of bringing the County Council or any of its employees into disrepute.
The Hirer must ensure that no alcohol or illegal substances are to be consumed on County Council premises. All County Council premises operate a no smoking policy.
Basildon Library prides itself in maintaining a high level of Health and Safety for its visitors. Hirers must therefore ensure that they follow safe practices, which include the following:
- Familiarising themselves with, and informing their delegates of, the Fire and First Aid arrangements
- Compliance with any instructions given by staff in the event of an evacuation/emergency.
- Ensuring that any materials and equipment that they bring into the premises are transported, stored, used and are in a safe condition. Electrical equipment must be PAT tested and display a validation.
- If any Health and Safety concerns arise either before or during your hire, they must be communicated to Basildon Library’s staff immediately.
- The hirer must take reasonable precautions to ensure that any children, young people, parents and carers at their event will be kept safe.
All Essex County Council premises are open to all members of the community. Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religious or political beliefs will not be tolerated.
- The Hirer must be at least 18 years of age and must be on site for the entire period of hire.
- Unless otherwise informed by Basildon Library’s Supervisor or Area Manager, the premises does not have any Performing Rights, Recorded Music or similar licences. Please contact Basildon Library on 03330 132612 for more information.
- No items may be sold by the Hirer from the booked premises unless prior agreement is received in writing by a designated library officer. Please contact Basildon Library on 03330 132612 and ask to speak to the Library Supervisor or Area Manager if you wish to discuss this further.
- The Hirer may not allow another party to use the space booked.
Contravention of terms and conditions
Anyone found contravening any of the terms and conditions may be asked to leave the premises immediately. No money will be refunded if a booking is cancelled in these circumstances.