This book will help you explore imaginary play with your child. What can a simple stick become; a whistle, or a dinosaur, a pen or a fishing rod? A stick can be any child’s magical outdoors toy!
Now you’ve enjoyed a great book, try this:
in the great outdoors…
- Each person finds a stick that is special to them.
- How many ways of using that stick can you come up with?
- What is your child’s favourite?
- What is your favourite?
- Why not see how high you can build a twig tower?
and at home…
- Go for a walk, collect some sticks and create a family tree.
- Peel off the bark at one end (using a vegetable peeler is best – and you could do this bit for your child).
- Your child can draw a face onto the bare wood with a felt tipped pen. They can make twig faces for all your family.
- Tie the sticks together with wool and hang in a special place.